Denver Rams Give Back

By Haleigh Canalte

To Neil Cowan (’94), the words on the Colorado State University seal—education, service, extension, research—aren’t just words, they’re promises to the Colorado community. Three years ago, Cowan connected with the Denver Ram Network’s Amanda Wolz and began a new service mission to help The Urban Farm in Stapleton—a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing work experience and a welcoming community in a farm setting to inner city youth.

Ram_Network_TheUrbanFarm

Denver Ram Network volunteers at The Urban Farm in Stapleton.

On CSUnity, the University’s annual alumni day of service, Neil Cowan and his group of volunteers become farm hands—donning their work gloves to clear out garden beds, build animal pens, and harvest crops. At the annual FarmFest, University alumni manned carnival booths, created decorations, and helped kids show off the fruits of their summer-long efforts.

“I just like being a face for the university,” says Cowan. “I’m the third generation in my family to have attended Colorado State University, and I always thought I could do more.”

IMG_0425In addition to their work with The Urban Farm, the Denver Ram Network also works with the Food Bank of the Rockies and with the National Western Stock Show on CSU day. University alumni, family, and friends also served meals to the hungry and homeless at the Denver Rescue Mission during this year’s Rocky Mountain Showdown week.